Fall 2019 Capsule Wardrobe
Fall Capsule Wardrobe in Canada
It’s finally here! This Fall Capsule Wardrobe focuses on layering items, as this season in particular can never make up its mind here in Canada. One day its 30+ Degrees and the next 11 Degrees- that’s why we must always be prepared. I did incorporate ethical and sustainable pieces into the capsule but with my budget this month being what it was there are a few pieces from Zara, two were labeled eco friendly (by their standards) but I find that’s mostly greenwashing and something we should take with a grain of salt. I live in an area that truly flourishes during the Fall months- we host craft shows, events at various wineries and breweries almost every weekend, grow local seasonal produce, and the humidity over the region slowly lifts making everyones mood a little happier. Farms host hay rides, create amazing spaces for pumpkin and apple picking, and let’s just say you can find a spiced syrup flavour to add to your coffee at any local coffee shop. We buy pies filled with local apples, wine that’s meant for the harvest season, and women pull out their boots after a season of sandals. I just can’t get enough of Fall here in Niagara and because I spend so much time outside I need to be prepared for changes in the weather, as i’m sure you do too! So if you love Fall as much as I do, and live in an area where it can be rain jackets one minute and dresses the next save this post for reference.
The Fall 2019 Capsule Wardrobe is comprised of dresses, boots, sweaters, cardigans, camisole’s, button ups, and well anything that makes someone feel cozy yet stylish at the same time. This capsule is meant to be practical and easy, a no-effort guide to dressing this season because you have enough things to worry about- what you’re going to wear shouldn’t be one of them. All of the bases are covered from styles to colours to various weather conditions.
Each item is linked for you to shop below if you chose to, of course none of these are affiliate links and I won’t make a cent if you do purchase but just in case you decide to i’ve made it simple for you.
Links to Reference
If you’re interested in visualizing how to style a capsule by the week check out Weekly Capsule Wardrobe.
If you’ve been considering doing a closet purge but don’t know the full benefits check out Why I Cleared Out My Closet and Left Just the Essentials.
If you’d like to see last year’s Fall Capsule check out Fall 10x10.
Fall Capsule Wardrobe Checklist
Chunky knit sweater
Old Items carried over
New Investments (I allocated up to $1,000 this year- See reasoning below)
Chunky Knit Sweater
This year I needed to invest in some quality core pieces to follow me into this F/W season and next. Over the last 4 years I budgeted while in University and gave myself only 20% allowance for clothing from what I made at my part-time job, meaning when I pulled out my F/W clothes this year from storage a lot of the pieces were extremely worn down and needed to be replaced due to stretching out of material, stains, and general wear and tear( I used to wear the same clothes to school/work/going out). While building my Fall 2019 Capsule Wardrobe I kept in mind versatility and longevity when choosing to invest, I needed new items for my 9-5 office job and they have to last so I don’t need to replace any of these items in the foreseeable future. When creating your own checklist write your budget down under New Investments and every time you add something to that list, subtract the amount from the budget allocated for new items. That way you won’t go over your spending, and you can better decide what really needs to be invested in. I never hit my $1,000 budget thankfully, so the remainder went into savings.
Fall 2019 Capsule Wardrobe Item Details
1. Plaid Pants- A pair of plaid pants is always in my capsules for Fall, they add warmth to any outfit and are usually very comfortable and stretchy, these ones from Zara were on clearance and feel like you’re wearing pyjamas all day.
2. White Boots- The white boots in my weekly winter capsule (see link above) are basically made of plastic and cause dents in the skin around my ankles from walking. These are a much better option and the lace up makes them snug, and sturdy while you walk. The heel is the perfect height and they look fantastic with every pant in this capsule.
3. Tradlands Chunky Knit Sweater- When I saw this sweater in Tradlands Fall Collection I knew I needed it. It’s extremely soft, has incredible detailing, and like every other piece they make is incredibly well made. These styles of sweaters are traditional, practical, and never go out of style. They also pair well with just about anything.
4. Green Jacket- One thing that every Fall Capsule needs is a green jacket. I upgraded after storing my previous thrifted jacket for this beautifully structured corduroy one, I will probably never button it up and love the oversized look.
5. Brown Boots- Unfortunately these are sold out in most sizes but hopefully they restock them! Point is, you NEED brown boots in your Fall Capsule. It’s simply a must.
6. Turtle Neck- This oversized boy structured version from Tradlands is everything, the neck has more material than most turtlenecks making it cozier around your neck, plus the ability to fold it multiple ways is nice too.
7. Button up- Another Tradlands beauty in the same colour as the chunky sweater. A button up is perfect tucked into jeans for a put together but casual look, and this one comes in a variety of neutral colours.
8. High Waisted Denim- Having two styles of denim in your Capsule is imperative. The high waist is nice for tucking in as to accentuate your figure and they’re a little bit more trendy, so paired with a basic sweater you can still feel elevated and up-to-date.
9. Cashmere Sweater- Adding a luxe sweater for fancier moments, or when you’ve worn casual basics for so long you need something more dressed up cashmere is your babe. The sleeves speak for themselves and you most likely won’t want to take the incredibly soft fabric off at the end of the day.
10. Everlane Denim- I must admit I had a bit of a hard time with sizing. When you look at online reviews they suggest going down a size but that didn’t work for me, I stayed my normal size but still wished I had a bit more wiggle room. Nevertheless these are a cult favourite for good reason. They hug your bug, are a standard classic cut, and come in great shades!
11. Dr. Martens Cherry Boots- I’ve wanted these for years, they are so beautiful and a bit of a different twist with the colour. Most people buy the black style but since these can also shift into winter I didn’t want to always be wearing black. These will add a nice pop of colour to an all black outfit and style well with dresses and denim.
12. H&M Cardigan- I have this an older version of this cardigan from years ago but they always bring back the same style, differentiating the colours slightly. It’s honestly the perfect addition to any outfit, acts like a blanket, and is super cozy. I keep mine in my car and whip it out all year for added warmth.
13. Fauxgerty Fiona Dress- Check out my blog post on the Fiona Dress here. I go into more detail about how amazing it is, but you don’t have to buy this particular one- you just need a black dress for warmer fall days or fancier occasions such as Thanksgiving.
14. Anthropologie Flats- Brown flats are basically a fall staple for any woman, I like that these are a little elevated with the print and the cut outs at the side are super cute. Wear these for warmer fall days or if you really need a break from wearing socks.
15. Frank and Oak Camisole- A layering piece, very essential. I always go with white or cream because usually the layers on top will be darker, you can also wear this underneath the chunky knit sweater in case you get too warm- our weather can be tricky!
16. Frank and Oak Sweater Dress- A very cute choice for the office, or an in-between temperature day. Your legs stay cool regulating your body temperature and your torso is cozy, again regulating your body temperature. I just love the look of these dresses in the fall especially with boots.
17. Everlane ReNew Jacket- It’s pretty obvious that a waterproof-wind proof jacket needs to be in the mix. But this is the ultimate pleaser with its recycled materials, amazing durability and you can even look into the factory it was created at. It comes in a variety of funky colours but this gold shade is perfect for that relaxed autumnal look.
18. H&M Leggings- The most worn and needed capsule item is leggings. These babies go with everything and trust me when I say you need them, no matter where they’re from or what colour they are leggings are a gift from God in the cooler months. These however aren’t your average leggings, they’re ‘consciously’ made (remember that Greenwashing thing I was talking about previously) thicker than normal with stitching down the front making them very flattering. Plus they come in a pack in multiple colours. Thank me later when you’re wearing them with boots and a sweater and living your best life.
So that’s it for the Fall 2019 Capsule Wardrobe! I hope you find this helpful in building your own Fall Capsule Wardrobe, I hope the checklist helped, & as always If you have any questions please leave a comment below.